The following links provide access to all the necessary clearances and educational requirements for all paid or volunteer coaches to coach at a PIAA-member school:
PDE Required Background Clearances (must be completed once every 60 months):
- FBI clearance (ACT 114) - https://pa-aps.3m.com/perlpub/registration_edu_pci.pl
(This is the Cogent site required to be used by Department of Education - this clearance must be done online)
Click here for the Cogent Fingerprint site locations
In completing the FBI clearance, there is an area that requests “reasons” – the answer is school districts.
Approximately 4 weeks after getting fingerprinted, you will receive your Cogent results in the mail. These materials are to be provided to the school
- PA State Police clearance (ACT 34) - https://epatch.state.pa.us
In completing the PA State Police clearance, the “reason” is employment
3. Department of Human Services clearance (PA Child Abuse) (ACT 151) - https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
**Once at this site create an individual account**
In completing the Child Abuse History clearance, under the application purpose, check the box titled, “School Employee Governed by Public School Code”.
**The PA State Police clearance and the Department of Human Services clearance can be printed and mailed to those depts.
Click here for the printer version of the PA State Police clearance.
Click here for the printer version of the Department of Human Services clearance.
PA Department of Education Required Training Courses:
A coach must complete a course under each heading, annualy, prior to holding practice with their students:
Concussion Training Course (must complete either of the two courses)
Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training Course
PIAA Coaching Education Requirements:
The following continuing educational courses will be required for coaches engaged at a PIAA Member School (Effective July 1, 2016*):
Core Courses (complete a coaching education course and a First Aid course from either of the two providers below):
Note: NO SPORT SPECIFIC COURSES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
NFHS (access info @ www.nfhslearn.com)
ASEP (access info @ Human Kinetics)
- Coaching Principals (fee depends on instructor)
- Sport First Aid (fee depends on instructor)
*NOTE: All coaches currently employed or engaged by a PIAA member school must complete two courses as provided above no later than June 30, 2018. Coaches hired after July 1, 2016, will have two years from their date of hire to complete this requirement.
In addition to the above courses, PIAA will be accepting of college level courses for either the coaching and/or first aid requirements. A coach must upload a copy of the transcript indicating satisfactory completion of the course(s) to the PIAA Website for credit. In addition, American Red Cross First Aid training will also be accepted for the first aid requirement.
For coaches that have not already completed college level courses and are interesting in taking those courses for continuing education, please use the link below for current course offerings:
Directions for creating a coach profile and uploading course requirements to the PIAA website for coaches:
To use the coaching credentialing system - visit our website: www.piaa.org;
Click “login” (the gold box in top right corner of your screen).
Click the “Coaches” tab.
If you have not previously used the coaches’ credentialing portal, you will need to create a new user profile by clicking “Register” and following the steps to create a new user – (Note: school, official, or other logins used in our system are not useable for the purpose of coaching education).
Once you have created a profile, the Coaching Education System becomes available.
- In the first section, select each school which you are affiliated. Multiple schools may be selected if affiliated with more than one school. Simply begin typing the school name, and the system will match all available schools.
- In the second section, “PIAA Education Requirements”, upload certificates of completion or a transcript to support completion of the required coaching and first aid required courses. Note, if submitting a course other than an NFHS or ASEP approved course, type in the name of the course you are submitting.
NOTE: One submission must be made for each course requirement. A single transcript cannot be uploaded once to satisfy the requirement for coaching and first aid. They must be uploaded separately.
Please do not submit concussion or cardiac coursework in this section. That information may be upload under section 3 “Optional School Education”, but should not be uploaded under section 2.
- In the third section “Optional School Education”, a school may require coaches to upload additional information at their discretion. Please check with your athletic administrator to see if you are required to submit any items in this location.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mark Byers, PIAA Chief Operating Officer in the PIAA Office at (717) 697-0374, or (800) 382-1392.