The following continuing educational courses will be required for coaches engaged at a PIAA Member School (Effective July 1, 2016*):
Core Courses (complete a coaching education course and a First Aid course from either of the two providers below, once completed please submit a certificate or transcript for approval to the PIAA by creating a coaches profile, directions below):
Note: NO SPORT SPECIFIC COURSES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
NFHS (access info @ www.nfhslearn.com)
ASEP (access info @ Human Kinetics)
- Coaching Principles (fee depends on instructor)
- Sport First Aid (fee depends on instructor)
*NOTE: All coaches currently employed or engaged by a PIAA member school must complete two courses as provided above no later than June 30, 2018. First time coaches hired at any PIAA school after July 1, 2016, will have two years from their date of hire to complete this requirement.
Additional Accepted Coursework:
- PIAA will be accepting of American Red Cross and American Heart Association First Aid training for the first aid requirement. Please upload a copy of card to your coaches profile.
- PIAA will be accepting of college level courses for either the coaching and/or first aid requirements. (Example courses are Principles of Coaching or Fundamentals of Coaching). A coach must upload a copy of their transcript or certificate indicating satisfactory completion of the course(s) to the PIAA Website for credit.
- The following links provide course offerings provided by an institution of higher education and satisfy the requirements for coaching education at a PIAA-member school:
Fundamentals of Coaching Coursework:
Athletic Liability, Conflict Management: Managing the Angry Parent, Title IX and Gender Equity in Athletics, Hazing, Steroid and PED Awareness in Athletics, Emergency Operations Planning: Building the Plan, Emergency Operations Planning: Implementing the Plan, Sensitivity Awareness, Conflict Management: Student-to-Student, Diversity Awareness: Staff-to-Student, and Online Safety: Cyberbullying
First Aid Coursework:
First-Aid, Sport Supervision & Safety, Heat Illness Prevention, Student Drug and Alcohol Abuse, AED, and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Once completed, coaches will receive TWO certificates for all modules completed through SafeSchools Training. One certificate will be for the Fundamentals of Coaching coursework and the other will be for the First Aid coursework. Please contact your SafeSchools Account Manager to set this up. These certificates can then be uploaded to their Coaches’ profile for approval by the PIAA.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Jennifer Grassel, PIAA Assistant Executive Director in the PIAA Office at (717) 697-0374, or (800) 382-1392.