- A Tournament is defined as competition involving three (3) or more schools in which the schools are competing for a championship (first place) and other places. All Tournaments must be conducted in accordance with the Constitution, By-Laws, Policies and Procedures, and Rules and Regulations of PIAA.
- With the exception of Tournaments hosted and/or sponsored by at least one PIAA-member school and involving only PIAA-member schools, and conference or league championship Tournaments, all Tournament applications involving PIAA-member schools must be reviewed by the PIAA Executive Director, or the Executive Director’s designee. Applications for Tournament approval can be obtained from the PIAA Office via the
PIAA Tournament Web site
- The application for Tournament approval must be completed, signed by the host and/or sponsor PIAA-member school Principal, and forwarded to the PIAA Executive Director, or the Executive Director’s designee, with a check payable to PIAA in the amount of $50.00. Following review and either approval or disapproval of the application, the PIAA Executive Director, or the Executive Director’s designee, shall post all approved applications to the
PIAA Tournament Web site
. Forms must be received in the PIAA Office at least four (4) weeks or twenty (20) business days prior to the date of the Tournament.
- Only PIAA-member schools, or such other secondary schools that comply with PIAA eligibility rules for school, team, and contestant, may participate in PIAA-approved Tournaments. A PIAA-member school which participates in a non-approved or a disapproved Tournament in a sport may be required to forfeit championship rights in that sport.
- PIAA-approved Tournaments must be conducted during the PIAA-defined Regular Season for that sport. Practices, Inter-School Practices, Scrimmages, and Contests are limited to SIX (6) DAYS per Calendar Week during the Regular Season.
- The Principal of each competing school must submit an eligibility list to the Tournament director prior to the start of the Tournament. All contestants must undergo a preparticipation physical evaluation, reevaluation, or certification, as applicable, and this fact must be certified to by the Principal of the competing school when that Principal submits the school’s eligibility list to the Tournament director.
- Adequate locker room and shower facilities must be provided by Tournament authorities, and these shall be kept in a safe and sanitary condition.
- An adequate number of law enforcement officers must be provided for the Tournament. The number of law enforcement officers needed to provide adequate security must be determined by the owner or director of security of the facility. The owner or director of security of the facility is in the best position to make that determination
- It is mandatory that a licensed physician of medicine or osteopathic medicine attend the Tournament or be within instant call in case of an emergency.
- Only PIAA-registered sports officials shall officiate in the Tournament, and National Federation of State High Associations (NFHS) Contest rules shall be used in the Tournament.